|Job Title||Student Assistant – Sustainability Program Assistant|
|Student Classification||Student Assistant or Graduate Assistant|
|Posting Type||Student/nonbenefited (NSTU)|
|Job Description Summary||The California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS) is seeking to hire a student assistant to work under the close supervision of a Staff Services Manager I. In a learning capacity, the student assistant is responsible for performing administrative and technical tasks in the department’s Sustainability Program which develops and implements transportation-related strategies to support sustainability and social equity in the environment and the economy which help achieve the goals and objectives of the California Department of Transportation’s Sustainability Program.|
|Conditions of Employment||This is a part-time, temporary, non-benefited, student position. Employment in all positions with University Enterprises, Inc. is dependent upon the mutual consent of University Enterprises, Inc. and the employee. This means that either University Enterprises, Inc. or the employee can, at any time, terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause.
Depending on the type of position you are applying for, a pre-employment background check consisting of one or more of the following may be conducted: employment history, professional references, criminal check, educational verification (i.e., degree, license, or official transcript) and physical exam and drug urinalysis test. Applicants will be required to pass required pre-employment checks to the satisfaction of University Enterprises, Inc. (UEI) and the hiring Agency or Department.
|Work Schedule||Flexible hours, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:00 am and 5:00 pm. Final schedule to be determined between supervisor and student.|
|Additional Work Schedule||Student Assistants and Graduate Student Assistants generally work up to 20 hours per work week (Sunday-Saturday) during the academic year and up to 40 hours per work week during breaks; (Winter, Spring and Summer). Another work schedule option for students working off campus through the California Intern Network is to work 28 hours per week, year-round.
Student Assistants are not permitted to telecommute or work remotely.
|On/Off Sacramento State Campus||Off Campus|
|Department/Agency||California Department of Transportation (CALTRANS)|
|Unit/Division||Director’s Office / Sustainability Program|
|Project Description||Caltrans manages more than 50,000 miles of California’s highway and freeway lanes, provides inter-city rail services, permits more than 400 public-use airports and special use hospital heliports and works with local agencies. Caltrans carries out its mission of providing a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system to enhance California’s economy and livability, with six primary programs: Aeronautics, Highway Transportation, Mass Transportation, Transportation Planning, Administration and the Equipment Service Center.
As part of the Caltrans Director’s Office, the Sustainability Program is a nationwide leader in sustainable transportation and program members regularly work with aides from the California Governor’s Office, federal agencies, other state governments, and high-level business representatives.
To learn more please visit www.dot.ca.gov
|Majors/Fields of Study||Environmental Science, Ethnic Studies, Government , Graphic Design, Political Science, Public Policy and Administration, Sociology , Urban Land Development, Business Administration, Computer Science and Engineering, Geography, Law, Media Communication, Natural Sciences, Physics|
|Minimum Qualifications||• Must have and maintain a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
• Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point and related software is required.
• Must be able to effectively communicate written and verbally.
• Must have experience with computers and related applications.
• Must be able to communicate with customers and staff alike.
• Must be reliable and ethical.
|Prerequisites||Must be a college student attending classes during the regular term (Fall, Spring and Winter, if applicable), at one of the accredited colleges or universities on our affiliation list.
To view our current affiliation list please paste the following URL into your browser: http://www.calinterns.org/wp-content/uploads/Affiliation_List.pdf
Students must be enrolled at a minimum in: six semester units or nine quarter units for undergraduate students; four semester units or six quarter units for graduate students.
Students declared major must match the major(s) listed in the job posting.
|Duties and Responsibilities||• Provide assistance to the Sustainability Program by researching and compiling data and information relating to Caltrans transportation sustainability and operational sustainability efforts. May include the input, development, and modification of information for the sustainability website, databases, reports, and power point presentations.
• Help staff and program management prepare for meetings and presentations by gathering materials and providing general meeting support.
• Assist in conducting library and internet research to gather and compile background material related to transportation sustainability.
• Attend training as necessary.
|Physical Requirements||Sit for extended periods; frequently stand and walk; manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination; corrected hearing and vision to normal range; verbal communication; use of office equipment including computer workstations, telephones, calculators, copiers, printers, scanners, and fax machines, with or without a reasonable accommodation.|
|Working Conditions||Work is performed in a climate-controlled office environment under artificial lighting.|
|Hours Per Week||Students (part-time) 0-20 hours per week during the academic year, up to 40 hours per week during breaks; (Winter, Spring and Summer). (NSTU)|
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Special Instructions to Applicant||Please complete all fields of the employment application. Include your educational history in the “Educational Experience” section and any employment history in the “Employment Experience” section of our application.|
|Quick Link for Internal Postings||http://ueijobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/13760|
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (Unofficial transcripts gladly accepted)
- List of References
- Writing Sample
- Schedule of Availability
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this position?
- UEIJobs Website
- Interest Card Emails
- Career Fair
- Campus Career Center
- Personal Referral
- Sacramento Bee
- Internal Job Posting
- The WELL hiring expo
- If other, please specify.(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a college student attending classes during the regular term (Fall, Spring and Winter, if applicable), at an accredited college or university and enrolled in at least 6 semester or 9 quarter units as an undergraduate or 4 semester or 6 quarter units as a graduate student?
- * Is your major/field of study one of the following: Business Administration, Computer Science and Engineering, Environmental Science, Ethnic Studies, Geography, Government, Graphic Design, Law, Media Communication, Natural Sciences, Physics, Political Science, Public Policy and Administration, Sociology or Urban Land Development?
- * Are you proficient with Microsoft Office suite including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel?
- * Is your cumulative GPA 2.0 or above?
- * Do you have any relatives currently working for Caltrans? If so, please list.(Open Ended Question)